Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My To-Do List


I like to make myself a to-do list every week and keep it visible on the kitchen counter. I have to smile in amusement when I make my lists these days thinking of how different my tasks are now from what they used to be as a full-time office employee. As a stay-at-home mom, my lists now include things like, "Do Avery's laundry" and "Change out carseat buckle". My to-do lists help me remember the things I tend to forget about until right before bed when I think, "Oh yeah, I forgot to do ____."

This week I had an unusual "task" on my to-do list...to write a letter to a friend. This is the only way I have of communicating with her right now in her current situation. So last night instead of getting on Facebook or Pintrest like I usually do after my daughter is in bed, I decided to sit down and write to her. I dug out my stationery box (yes, I actually do still have one), but I had to dig down to the bottom under blank cards and unused stickers until I finally found some stationery paper. It's pink and I've probably had it since I was 12! After writing for awhile, I thought about how rare it is for me to write anymore. Occasionally I'll force myself to sit down and write in my journal, but even then its usually about what new things Avery is doing or saying and not really about my thoughts or what's been going on in my life. Even emailing someone seldom happens anymore. Why email when you can just send short texts while you're busy doing something else? Who has time to sit down and write? Not me. Oh yeah, but I do have time for Facebook and Pintrest. Hmmmm...

So this evening of writing to my friend instead of getting on social media made me think...I don't have to always check Facebook. That should not be something on my mental to-do list. And speaking of to-do lists, I don't always have to have one. Sure, they are nice to help me remember things and it feels so good when I get to cross something off. But life isn't about just crossing things off my list. Playing with my daughter and giving her my attention isn't something I can just do and say, "Check! That's done for today." Spending time reading my Bible and praying isn't something I can do and then say, "Check! I've been a good Christian for today...now I'm done." And I have to keep reminding myself of that. I don't want to let my to-do lists, whether mental or actual, control me. So if I made an actual to-do list inspired by this blog post, I think it should look something like this:

-Spend time being present, whether its an actual place or in someone's company
-Pray without ceasing
-Spend less time on social media and more time writing and drawing! :o)

What's on your to-do list right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment